I bought the Willow about a month ago and hid it from my family because I still haven’t finished the Coventry cottage yet and I don’t want them to think that this is getting out of hand, yanno? >_>
I still haven’t finished the Coventry Cottage, and I have other projects lining up, but I really, really, REALLY wanted to start building the Willow so here I am.
The Willow box is HUGE. It was certainly bigger than the Coventry Cottage. Pictured above is just a comparison between the two boxes.
Now for the unboxing. Can you smell the wood?
I think its pretty hilarious that they even bother supplying any sandpaper at all. This dinky piece is NOT going to cut it.
So I start organizing and sorting the pieces.
The thing I don’t like about Greenleaf/Corona Concepts, is that their wood really sucks. I know thats part of how they keep the cost of the kits on the low side, but it doesn’t help that their die cutting process is pretty bad along with their wood. When I tried to punch these pieces out, the back pretty much crumbled.
Here’s some more damage.
There was actually a lot of bitty damage here and there, but these two pictures were the worst of the worst. I know I can ask for some replacements, but I’d rather not wait. I am comfortable with using my own wood to create my own replacement parts.
So here I am sanding the pieces down. Sanding is one of those things I really dislike doing, so I’m using power sander to cut down on the time. I made a makeshift sanding station outside.
After bringing all the pieces back inside, I dry fit them together to get an idea of the size that I’m dealing with. Its pretty HUGE!
All in all, it was a good day. Even with the size of the DH, I still managed to hide it from my family in the garage. The best part is that they didn’t notice!
I’m really not sure its even possible to work on the Willow on the sly, but we’ll see how long I can hold it up.